Thursday 6 May 2010

FAQ for voters



Some questions I've been asked by first-time voters.

Can I vote at any Polling Station?
No. You have to vote at the one you are "called to", i.e. the one on your card.

I've moved since getting my polling card. Where do I go?
Still go to the Polling Station on your card. You don't have to tell them you have moved but you will only be registered to vote at that Polling Station.

Do I have to take my polling card in?
No. Just give your name and address to the person on the desk.

Can I take my children into the Polling Station with me?
Yes. They may not see or write the cross (or other mark) on your paper though.

Do the ballot slips have just the candidates' names on, just the parties, or both?
They have both.

What do I do if I've forgotten to post my postal vote?
You can take it down to the Polling Station. It will still count.

I've heard there are people in party rosettes outside the Polling Stations asking for names and addresses. What's the deal with that?
They are "tellers" - activists for the various parties who are keeping track of who has voted. This is perfectly legitimate but you don't have to give them your name and address if you don't want to. The only people who need to know it are the staff on the desk inside the Polling Station itself.

What time do the Polling Stations shut?
10 o'clock pm.

Can I vote late?
No.

No comments: